The Planning, Research and Statistics Department is a service Department with the following responsibilities:
- Coordinate the formulation of policies that will create the adoption of ICT usage in the MDAs and in Nigeria.
- Coordinate the formulation and facilitation of policies that would stimulate local and foreign investments in ICT sector;
- Coordinate the implementation, review and updating of Master plan and Road maps in the ICT sector in liaison with all relevant stakeholders;
- Coordinate the preparation of the Ministry’s Development/Annual Work Plans and Programmes in line with its mandates and in conjunction with other Departments and Parastatals;
- Coordinate the review and update existing ICT and Postal Laws to ensure conformity with international best practices;
- Conduct routine project monitoring and evaluation to ensure that the project meet its set target;
- Conduct intervention studies into relevant issues pertaining to ICT as well as operational and management modalities of the ICT sector;
- Develop and maintain a Management Information System for the ICT sector within the ministry;
- Facilitate partnerships among all stakeholders in the ICT sector both at National and International level;
- Provide secretariat to the National Council on Communication Technology which is a high advisory body to government.
- Coordinates the preparation and the processing of the Ministry’s/Agencies Federal Executive Council (FEC) memos and for other Councils such as National Economic Council (NEC).
- Coordinates the Ministry’s relationship with the various relevant committees of the National Assembly.
The Department has been structured into three Divisions and seven branches as follows:
- Planning and Policy Division
- Policy and Planning Branch
- Research, Statistics and Database Management Division
- Research and Statistics Branch
- Library and Documentation Branch
- Database Management Branch
- Monitoring and Evaluation Division
- Monitoring Branch
- Evaluation Branch